Saturday, August 05, 2006

Half Square Triangles

There are so many ways to make the various segments of a quilt. For the "sew for an hour" project coming up and for future projects we may do here, I'm not going to get real specific about how to do the basic piecing. For instance, in this first project, we will need a bunch of 3" finished half square triangles. I will just say, for example, you will need 80 half square triangles that finish at 3".

How I Make Mine: I cut my squares 1" larger than the finished size of the squares. For 3" finished, I would cut my squares 4", draw a diagonal line on one square, layer it right sides together with another square, then I sew 1/4" on each side of the drawn line, cut the drawn line, press them and trim them to 3-1/2". I cut and sew mine individually, one square at a time. Many quilters use this same method but but their squares only 7/8" larger than the finished squares.

Other Ways:

Grid Method - http://www.nmia.com/~mgdesign/qor/technique/hst.htm

Triangle Paper is available to print at Block Central.

Wondercut Ruler
method.

There are many ways besides those I've mentioned and for the upcoming project, feel free to use any method that suits you, just so you end up with the correct size square.

Judy L.


No comments: