Saturday, December 31, 2005

Gumbo Recipe


You saw the roux last night. Here's the pot on the stove simmering:

Several of you asked about my gumbo recipe. It's one of those things that I just do . . no recipe. If you can make a roux, you can make a gumbo. I found this at About.com that has good instructions for making a roux (it isn't hard but you can't burn it!) http://southernfood.about.com/library/howto/htmakeroux.htm

That's basically what I do to make my roux. They say to let it cool a bit before adding the chopped veggies but I don't. I put the onions, peppers and garlic in while it's hot so they saute. Don't add the veggies until the roux is as dark as you want it. You have to get it pretty dark -- cook it slow and stir it constantly.

Veggies:

2 onions, chopped
1 bell pepper, chopped
garlic, chopped (however much you'd like)

Add to roux and saute.

Add about 2 quarts hot water (can mix a little broth in here if you'd like). I usually boil my chicken a day ahead of time. Put the broth in the fridge so the fat can be skimmed off. Remove the chicken from the bones and chop it for the gumbo. I don't measure but you can cook it down or add more water to get the consistency you like.

Add salt, black and red pepper to taste. If you want to add sausage to the gumbo, slice it and fry it to remove the grease before adding to the gumbo.

Add a couple of bay leaves. Simmer for a couple of hours. Before serving, add chopped parsley and chopped green onions.


Serve with a bowl of hot rice and file (spice you probably can't find if you don't live way down south . . can't find it in Kentucky). But you can make your own file if you have a sassafras tree nearby. Here's how you do it: http://generalhorticulture.tamu.edu/prof/Recipes/File-Sassafras/file.html


Never add the file to the pot . . it will get very slimey. Add it to your own bowl right before you're ready to start eating.

Yum . . we're fixing to have ours now!

Judy

No comments: